Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Simple Task - The Grocery Store!!!! HA

Emerson is 4 wks old and I decided to tackle the grocery store with her by myself today. . . . ha ha ha. How can one simple, normal task suddenly seem daunting and so scary?

So after getting up this morning and feeding Emerson, burping her, changing her twice because she spit up and pooped almost simultaneously while sneezing!??!@?@? Then putting her in her bouncy chair (my savior!!) I took a quick shower and changed then had to change again because Emerson projectile vomited all over me and my sofa . . . . then I had to get our dog, Lucy Sue, ready for me leaving - this consists of stuffing a plastic toy full of chicken or cheese, closing all the bedroom doors, and making sure she has food and water. Seriously I got up at 8:35am and by the time we left for the grocery store it was 12:38pm . . . the grocery store !!!! you would think I were Gwyneth Paltrow getting ready for a red carpet event by the amount of time it took to get ready . . . although I was sorely missing the glamorous gown, the sparkling champagne and the glowy radiance . . . . I had leaky breasts, throw-up on my shoulder and no make-up!!! Lovely.

So off we go . . . the store is about 2 miles from the house - all this preparation for something so close that I used to be able to just run up and grab milk or cheese and be back in 5minutes . . . well those days are over.

I get to the store only to discover I have NO IDEA how and what to do with Emerson, the car seat and the shopping cart! At first I was so intimidated and embarrassed that I didn't know how to take my baby in the store that I opted for the Snap'n'Go stroller - I would just pop the carseat on the stroller base and cut my shopping list down to whatever I could fit in a shopping basket! Forget the big fantasizes of a refrigerator stocked of goodies, I would settle for a basket of diapers, panty liners (oh yes!!) and milk! And Emerson was SLEEPING (YEAH!!!) so I wanted to do all this in like 10 minutes max!

Well turns out Ralphs have some great employees, a cart man saw me having trouble and came over and assisted me. He showed me how and helped me put the carseat on the cart and off I went - by the way I am petite (5'1") and I have no idea how I will get the carseat up there next time I go but "se la vie!"

It is funny how fast I whirled thru the store so anxious that Emerson would erupt into her inconsolable newborn cries that only a boob will console. Before Emerson I was an independent, confident, adventurous and sassy woman . . . now I feel like an alien in my own world. Driving my car felt foreign, walking my dog felt as if I had never done it before . . . . it really all changed so drastically for me in the blink of a c-section scar!!! But I will talk more about these feelings in my future posts because I have tons to share about being an emotional wreck after leaving the hospital with Emerson, that I think every pregnant or new mum needs to hear in order to relate and feel as though she is not alone. So please keep checking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment